2 EASY RECIPES TO SURPRISE YOUR DATE
Valentine’s Day is all about romance, love, and chocolates, but if you want to get really creative and take your date by surprise, try these two easy dessert recipes that require no baking skills but will make you look like a real chef!
BAKED ALASKA FLAMBÉ
Want to make a lasting impression on your Valentine?
Combine an exotic dessert with an impressive show! Surprise your guests by putting an ice cream cake in the oven and then setting it on fire! Baked Alaska is one of the most creative yet easy desserts that requires minimal preparation and no baking skills. It looks absolutely breathtaking when served in flames flambé style. This easy recipe is both a treat and an impressive show.
- 1 pint of vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint of chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 pint of salted caramel ice cream, softened
- 1 quart of strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 loaf of pound cake*
- 1 box Oreo handi-snacks cookie sticks
- 6 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Fill a large Zip-lock bag with the Oreo cookies and crush them with a rolling pin until they are crumb like. Spray a small metal bowl with cooking spray and line it with plastic wrap. Fill the bowl with scoops of the sorbet, vanilla ice cream, and half of the chocolate ice cream, alternating small and large scoops to create a mosaic of colors and shapes. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the ice cream; press down to close the gaps between scoops and even out the surface. Remove the plastic wrap, sprinkle the ice cream with the wafer crumbs and re-cover with the plastic wrap, pressing gently. Freeze until set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the wrap and spread the remaining chocolate ice cream in an even layer on top of the crumbs. Cut the pound cake into 1/2-inch-thick slices; completely cover the ice cream with the slices, trimming as needed (you’ll use about two-thirds of the cake). Cover with fresh plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Make the meringue: Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the sugar on high speed until the whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Bake the cake until the meringue peaks are golden, about 4 minutes, or brown the meringue with a blowtorch. Let the cake soften at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Pour some dark rum in a long stem glass, and light it up. Carefully pour the flaming liquid on top of your cake. Enjoy the show!
* Trader Joe’s Bourbon Cake Mix (~$3.46) is easy to make and tastes great!
Inspired by Food Network
photo by: olhaphotography.com
CHOCOLATE BERRY CUPIDS
This low-calorie dessert is a real treat for those who wish to satisfy their sugar cravings without compromising their waistline. It’s healthy, delicious, fancy, and extremely easy to make! It can be done in under 30 minutes and requires no cooking skills. All you have to do is make chocolate cups by dipping balloons in melted chocolate, fill them with whip cream and berries, and watch your date be amazed!
- 1 cup milk or dark chocolate
- 1 cup cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (seeded)
- Berries of your choice
- Blow up eight small balloons* till they’re about the size of a fist. Make sure they are all the same size.
- In a double boiler melt two thirds of the chocolate, mixing it until it melts. Take it off the heat and add remaining chocolate, mixing it until it is all melted and creates a uniform mass.
- Dip each balloon hallway into the chocolate and set them on a large plate. Place the balloons in the refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes.
- While the chocolate is setting, whip the heavy cream with sugar and prep your berries.
- Take the chocolate cups out of the fridge. Gently cut the top of balloons to slowly let them deflate. The balloons will peel off inside the chocolate cups.
- Remove the balloons. Fill each cup with whip cream and berries. Serve with powdered sugar.
*use mini balloons as they peel off better than large ones.
photo by: olhaphotography.com